Timing Belt Car Working
A timing belt or a timing chain is a part of the internal combustion engine in a vehicle. That is made of rubber and helps to keep your vehicle’s engine camshaft and crankshaft synchronically. It always gives a right time of opening and closing to the valve of the engine. Timing belt replacement cost is high because it also includes some other related parts. In some vehicles, we use a timing chain instead of timing belt. But they both are used for the same purposes. Since it provides a right time to the valve that helps running the car but if the valve timing is off, your engine will not work properly. The timing belt is also regulating the power steering and the water pump.
Difference Between Timing Belt & Timing Chain:
Basically, timing belt and timing chain perform same functions but have some differences. A timing belt is made of rubber that has a limited life while the timing chain is made of metal. You need to change the timing belt at the average of 2000 to 4000 RPM or after the travel of 60000 miles. On the other hand, we don’t have any need to change the timing chain for the whole life of the vehicle.
Working of The Timing Belt:
- The timing belt is a simple part of an engine that performs an important function. That is the reason things become complicated when timing belt brake.
- Usually, a timing belt is a toothed belt because it has teeth on the inside surface which fit into the grooves on the end of the crankshaft and camshaft.
- The timing belts are used for power transmission and maintaining a specific drive ratio.
- The timing belt is attached to the crankshaft and camshaft of the engine. It makes them turn together at the right time.
- The timing belt does control the valve opening and closing time.
- It works to send the mixture of air and fuels into the combustion chamber or the cylinder.
- In older vehicles, timing belt was only used to connect the camshaft to the crankshaft. But nowadays, it is also used to drive the water pump.
- A timing belt keeps the work of the valve and the pistons in a perfect order. At the right time, they both have the combination which works to push down on the cams individually on a camshaft.
- The timing belt makes sure the valve and the pistons are jumping and hopping at just the right time.
- Timing belt replacement is not so hard. You can replace car timing belt at home.
How does it Work?
The camshaft is driven by a timing belt and act directly over the valves.
The pistons and the valves are another important part of the engine. when the work together, timing belt control them.
- The pistons move up. They press the mixture of the fuel and air. At that time all the valves are closed.
- The pistons move down. The valve opens and allows the air and fuel mixture to enter the cylinder.
- The spark plug ignites the mixture of air and fuel and gives the power to the vehicle. This function process when the pistons are down and valves are closed.
- With the opening of the exhaust valve, fuel and air leave the engine and intake valve is closed at that time.
A bad timing belt creates serious problems in your engine. The camshaft and crankshaft going to be out of synchronization. A bed timing belt can damage your engine badly. So you should never ignore the problem of the timing belt.